Sunday, May 20, 2007

Tumbled Tile Coaster


I love working with these tumbled tiles to make coasters. I like how they feel so substantial and alcohol inks work beautifully on them.


These coasters could be a pretty quick and easy Father's Day gift - and if they are careful, the kids could even help create the colored background (but remember, alcohol inks are permanent inks).


How I made this tile:


You can find tumbled tiles in most home improvement stores. The tumbled tiles are better than glazed tiles for coasters since the can hold moisture better. It is a good idea to look through the tiles and choose ones that are smooth and have few holes so any stamped images will stamp cleanly.




Other supplies you will need are:


  • A selection of Ranger Alcohol Inks in the colors you desire. Include one of the Metallic Mixatives if you wish,
  • An alcohol ink applicator
  • Alcohol ink blender solution
  • Ranger Archival ink for stamping your image
  • Stamp

Before beginning, put a small amount of Blender Solution on a paper towel and clean off the tile to make sure there is no dust or oil.


I wanted my coaster to have an aged stone look. I chose Carmel, Ginger and a small amount of Denim for my colors. I also wanted a little glitz, so I also used a small amount of Copper Metallic Mixative. Different people have different methods of applying the inks - here is what works for me.


I choose a primary color (Carmel) and apply the most of this color to a clean felt
pad. Then I choose a secondary color (Ginger) and apply less of that. Then I choose a third color and apply a small amount of that to the pad. I add a small amount of blender solution (the more solution you add, the less intense the colors will be).


I "pounce" my applicator on the tile surface, turning it as I go to keep the colors random. I just keep pouncing until I'm happy with the coverage (don't forget to color the sides of the tile as well). If the colors are not intense enough, you can add more alcohol ink to the felt. If you really don't like what you are creating and want to start over, you can clean off the tile with blender solution. It will still be somewhat stained, but lightly enough so you can try again.


If I want to add some Metallic Mixative (in this case copper), I add a SM
ALL amount to the same felt pad I've been using and add a little squirt of blender solution. Then I pounce on the metallic in the same fashion. A little metallic goes a long way.


Let the alcohol inks dry completely. Then ink up your stamp with the Archival Ink and stamp it onto the tile. Keep in mind that the tile surface may not be perfectly smooth, so you may need more pressure than usual to get a good image.


I put the tile in a 300 degree oven for about 15 minutes to heat set everything. This step may not be necessary, but it makes me feel more secure.


The last step is to put something on the back of the tile to prevent the tile from scratching furniture. I like to use the cork shelf liner available at home improvement stores - but you could also use felt.


This tile uses the Ship Collage stamp by River City Rubber Works. The stamp and all the alcohol ink supplies are available from Rubber Inspirations.


7 comments:

Anne said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Patti said...

Very cool! I will have to try this! :)

Kat said...

Love it. Tumble tiles are so much fun. Thanks Cathy

Sharon said...

Absolutely love it!

lindsalita said...

This is fabulous for fathers day thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought about using the alcohol inks on the tile. Thanks for the idea! Love your work!!!

Sharron Lynne said...

Great idea. I had not thought about using alcohol inks on tiles either. Now I have a reason to buy some more of them. Thanks for sharing.


___